VFW Eligibility Requirements

There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member. They are as follows:

  1. Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.
  2. Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently
  3. Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters*. This can be proven by any of the following:
  • An authorized campaign medal (see a full list of qualifying medals and badges)
  • Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)
  • Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days

Below is a list of qualifying service/campaign medals for the VFW:

  • World War II

  • Occupation Service

  • Korean Service (1950-1954)

  • Korea Duty (1955-present)

  • Vietnam Service

  • Expeditionary Operations

  • Desert Shield/Storm

  • Bosnia/Kosovo

  • Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary

  • Afghanistan (2001-present)

  • Iraq (2003-present)

  • Inherent Resolve (2014-present)

  • SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignia

  • Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay

*This information is usually available through your DD-214. If other information is needed or if your DD-214 is not complete, you can contact the National Personnel Records Center online or at 314-801-0800 to request more information.

For more Eligibility information click here

%d bloggers like this: